The stables

This is certainly the most singular and lavish space in the whole monumental complex.

This is certainly the most singular and lavish space in the whole monumental complex. It was built for Scipione Porto between the end of the 17th century and the start of the 18th to a design by Francesco Muttoni (Lugano, 1668-Venice, 1747). The stables has 32 stalls, 16 on each side. The first on the right has a hatch from which water was drawn at the top end of the stone duct, sloped to drain the muck into the ditch beneath.
The columns are in red Asiago marble and topped by putti in Vicenza stone made by the Marinali workshop; there is an extraordinary chain motive on the floor made in white and pink stone.
The stables was certainly designed to house the horses to be trained and was next to the ‘riding school’, presumably situated - with its ring and necessary equipment (ditches, barriers, hedges etc.) - in the area in front of the east barchessa, bordering the ‘noble courtyard’. The stone column to which the horse was tied to allow the instructor to give it its exercise drill is the only remaining evidence.

 

The stables

The stables

The stables

The stables

The equestrian paintings 16th century

The equestrian paintings 16th century

The riding field (Mazzucchelli, 1805)

The riding field (Mazzucchelli, 1805)

The troughs

The troughs

Sfoglia la gallery »
Share